Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Clothe yourselves.......

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. NIV----Colossians 3:12

As I read this scripture this morning, it really stood out to me. I read it over again and realized with everything I have been battling the last weeks, months-------have I had myself clothe with compassion, kindness, humilty, gentleness and patience. The answer was NO. I look back on....especially the last couple of weeks...and I am totally ashamed of the way I have acted. behaved or even treated people especially the ones closest to me. No, I have not acted like this on purpose but just imagine what god could have done in me had I played a major part in these fruits.

In verse 10, Paul said that we have put on the new man. Now he gives some practical ways in which this can be done in our everyday lives. First of all, he addresses the Colossians as the elect of God. This refers to the fact that they had been chosen by God in Christ before the foundation of the world. God's electing grace is one of the mysteries of divine revelation. We believe the Scripture clearly teaches that God, in His sovereignty, has chosen men to belong to Christ. We do not believe that God has ever chosen anyone to be damned. Such a teaching is directly contrary to Scripture. Just as we believe in God's electing grace, we also believe in man's responsibility. God does not save men against their will. The same Bible that says "elect according to the foreknowledge of God" also says "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." This part of my devotion this morning (the highlighted) really stood out to me this morning. God did not chose me to live a life of depression and guilt but as I believed in his electing grace.....I also believe that I am responsible for the way I act or treat people. we will be held accountable for how we treat people.

I am thankful I have a great husband that cares enough to fight this battle with me. ( God remind me of this when I am blaming him for my actions). I am thankful for the friends I have that know I may have mood swings some times and don't hold it against me. I am thankful God has brought this scripture to my mind this morning that I may dwell on the good things today and given me the second chance I need to be nice, gentle, full of humilty and most of all patience.

How have you clothed yourself this morning for this day God has given us?

Lots of love,
Lisa

2 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Lisa, praying for victory over this battle in your life!! Press on girl!!

Kim said...

Thanks for reading my blog and for your prayers. Things are going well but we are in a "BUSY" season of life and we appreciate your prayers. I am teaching first grade, leading a bible study each week, driving Sam's taxi, doing my best to be a great wife, mom and friend and try to have a moment for myself. :) Looking forward to a break with the upcoming holidays.
Love ya!
Kim